Pages - Menu

Friday, June 5, 2009

She was a very pretty girl


Sometimes, simple is best. I spent more than two hours this evening working on a collage creation using the vintage image of a beautiful child, today's challenge photograph over at Art Creations Friday. I ditched my first attempt very quickly: I didn't like it at all. I then spent a considerable amount of time creating a second collage, backtracking my steps many times during the process. It had old sheet music, old text, a scratchy texture....more, more, more. Many layers, a few blending modes, even a few filters. More. I didn't think it was working but I kept at it, right down to the finished image. I then decided -- you guessed it -- that it just wasn't right.

They say the third time is the charm. All I know is that I went for simple for my third go, sticking with the vintage theme and using some wonderful photo frames I have in my stash.

Why did this lovely image prove to be so hard to work into some art? I think I was just trying too hard. I know that less can be more, but it's easy to forget.

6 comments:

vintage wil said...

Ohh its gorgeous!love the frame!!!

Leslie Jane Moran said...

All those relatives I found...I wish this one was mine! What an adorable child. Think I'll adopt her. Beautiful work and totally inspiring.

Anonymous said...

Its beautiful

stamp and scrape said...

I completely sympathise with the many attempts to get this right - I admire your patience. It was certainly worth it,as this is beautiful!!!
Ros

Susan Williamson said...

This is just wonderful Lennie. I went to Art Creations Friday to look at the original image and I'm wowed by your result. It was definitely worth all the time and effort you put into it.

ScrappyPam said...

Third time is definitely the charm! This is beautiful. And I commiserate with your earlier attempts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...