Pages - Menu

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Non-stop excitement


So yesterday, the 15th, was my birthday. It got off to a rip-roaring start.

Let me set the scene. It's Sunday night, I'm very tired, and looking forward to a good night's sleep -- and also looking forward to the drive from Savannah down to Cocoa Beach on Monday, my birthday. The captain and I go to bed and I blessedly fall asleep quickly. And then it happens.

BEEEEEP! BEEEEEEEP! BEEEEEEEEEP! ATTENTION! ATTENTION! THERE IS AN EMERGENCY IN THIS BUILDING. PLEASE LEAVE THIS BUILDING IMMEDIATELY. DO NOT TAKE THE ELEVATOR. BEEEEEP! BEEEEEEEP! BEEEEEEEEEP! ...repeat incessantly...

It was 3 a.m. Three in the morning! I was sleeping! And then I wasn't. This shrill, annoying, loud message was broadcasting throughout the hotel. Who knew hotels had speakers?

Now, I am a city girl. You're not going to scare me with some silly warning. So somebody pulled the fire alarm, big deal. I merely rolled over, cursing the noise. But the captain; ah, the captain. He was up, dressed, and I think he was ready to dash out and take control of the scene. He opened our hotel room door and stepped out into the hallway, then back into the room. "I do smell smoke," he said.

Drat! Smoke! That meant I had to get up. So I got dressed and reluctantly walked down seven flights of stairs wearing clunky crocs. Our son and his girlfriend were already outside with all the other guests. What an eclectic group -- some folks were still in their pj's and others were dressed and even had their suitcases with them. There were firetrucks, there were police cars. The captain was right at home. And I had brought my purse, so pulled out my camera and snapped a few photos. Never let a good photo op go to waste!

And then, quick as that, we all got to go back to bed. We never were told what really happened. Our son said the smell was strong on their floor, the 5th, and my son's girlfriend said it smelled like burnt sausages, which made me wonder if someone microwaved something that caught fire. I guess I'll never know.

So that was the exciting start to my birthday. We also drove through a severe rainstorm near the end of our drive here, but it didn't top the evacuation!

3 comments:

nancy said...

i hope the rest of "your" day was more enjoyable!

Leslie Jane Moran said...

I think it's a sign! :)

Glad it was nothing more than a nuisance. Hope the rest of the journey is a little less exciting.
Be well.

Leslie Jane Moran said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! Cake upon your return.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...