Pages - Menu

Sunday, April 26, 2009

Art Creations Friday


I enjoy participating in the various online art challenges, but I do admit I'm not a regular player at any of them. When the themes don't resonate with me, I just skip them. But all of the challenges in which I do participate require me to create a piece of art based on a theme, so I was pleased to discover Art Creations Friday and its lack of a theme. Instead, a picture or background is posted and you must create your piece of art using that particular image. Other than that rule, anything goes.

I do not normally do this -- I work with my own original images, although I certainly do take advantage of the numerous free textures and edges widely available online. Those enhance my own creations though, I don't base a piece of art on them.

Still, I am constantly trying to test my self-imposed limitations and spread my wings, making this an excellent design challenge: instead of working with something of my choice -- my typical approach -- this weekly challenge made me step outside of my comfort zone and take something I wouldn't normally create art with, and make it work.

The vintage photograph of the woman with the rifle is this week's image and, at first, I was dumbfounded. Honestly....she's interesting for sure, but definitely not my cup of tea. But I like a challenge and didn't want to give up. I fiddled around, tossing out several ideas, and came up with something that I like, something that made me smile.

This "assignment" turned out to be an excellent learning experience, one I highly recommend. Stepping away from the tried-and-true is something I think we should all force ourselves to do; it's how we grow.

I can't promise to be a regular Art Creations participant, but I do look forward to seeing what's posted there next week!

8 comments:

AliMayes said...

I love the background-it makes me think she may have just shot her husband!!
Ali xx

Char said...

Wonderful background with fab colors.

Femmy said...

fabulous background!!! love it!!

vintage wil said...

Great card !beautiful background!!

Anonymous said...

Absolutely gorgeous.

Stacy said...

Several of the other entries have her using her gun to get a man but this seems to imply she might have used it to get rid of one! It makes me smile too!

penny4thoughts said...

I agree with the previous comment! In my project I saw her completing her home with "her man" and yours shows a strong woman who doesn't need one- maybe she did finish him off herself! Really nice background, too.

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous colors! Love the background scene.
Faye

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...