Pages - Menu

Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Happy New Year!

Yes, I am wishing everyone out in bloggerville a very happy "new" year. For years and years, I have always held to the belief that the first day of school truly represents the beginning of a new year and even though I am no longer connected to the school year, I still believe this. January 1st does require the purchase of a new calendar, but to me it stands for little else. But now ... now is different. Early September represents change -- the days are shorter and the nights cooler, the long summer vacation is over and the routine of school sets in once more, the harvest is at its peak, the autumn colours will soon be everywhere with breathtaking splendour.

New directions. That's what this time of the year represents. I always get a tremendous creative surge when early September rolls around. Everything seems fresh and full of possibilities. Even seeing stacks of school paper and boxes of pencils in the stores fills me with enthusiasm. I know those emotions are more typically associated with spring, but for me it is autumn that I find invigourating. (I've always been a little different. I'm good with that.)

So for those who are about to embark on a new journey, whether it be academic or professional or personal, I wish you well. Happy NEW Year!

###

Unique Photo Challenge has picked the theme of "still life" for this week's challenge. Since I'm all about new directions right now, I picked the above photo as my contribution. Although the photoshopping is recent, the original photograph was taken a few years ago when my friend Nancy and I started a new artistic and professional journey together. Although that particular venture has run its course, I thought the photo was relevant both for the photo challenge and the wonderful feeling of opportunity that I currently feel. Stay tuned for more news on that front!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It does seem like the new year...january never does...ever...so thanks for reminding me.

Susan Williamson said...

I've always thought that the year should start at the beginning of September too, so happy creating Lenore. May all your possibilities come true.

nancy said...

Hey Len, the labour day weekend has always been my favorite. I love the fall, the change of season, no humitity, no bug, cool nites and settling in for the winter. ONLY 16 more weeks 'til Christmas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Just had to let you know! Nancy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...