Pages - Menu

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Going, going, gone


It's yesterday's headline, but I just heard the news a few minutes ago. Gourmet Magazine will soon cease to exist. Gourmet! It's a magazine I thought would be around, well, forever. I was just saying to Leslie, yesterday, when I don't think either of us knew, that I struggled earlier this year with relinquishing my vast collection of Gourmet magazines -- all part of an ongoing purge of things. I finally sent them off to a new home at the B&B run by a friend of the captain. I kept only the issues I had from the 1970s.

I went through many stages with Gourmet, alternating between thinking it pretentious and thinking it perfect. I'm surprised they've had such a hard time with advertising sales given today's foodie culture, but I know from experience how hard it can be to keep a magazine viable and healthy. But yet.....we're talking Gourmet here! I'm very, very surprised.

1 comment:

Irene said...

How sad. But this is what happens when you purge. Leslie you see gives everything to me. and I can't bring myself to purge. Although I didn't get her Gourmet Mag.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...