Pages - Menu

Saturday, July 4, 2009

It's Independence Day in the U.S.



First, let me wish all my American friends a happy 4th of July! May you have picnics, fireworks, parades -- all that makes the holiday happy for you.

According to my uncle, some of my ancestors on my paternal grandmother's side of the family were UEL (United Empire Loyalists, supporters of the British during the Revolutionary War who sacrificed their homes etc to leave the newly-formed United States and come north, where the United Kingdom still reigned supreme ... or something like that), so I'm guessing that hard-core monarchists do their best to ignore July 4th. That's something I've always wondered about: what do Brits think of July 4th?

Anyway, in recognition of the friendship between Canada and the U.S., I offer up a photo I took in downtown Buffalo. I loved seeing the two flags fly side by side!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...