Saturday, January 10, 2009
100 and counting
Can you believe it? This is my 100th post here on my blog. To celebrate, I'm posting a list of tips for a better 2009 for all of us. I don't claim this as my own -- it came to me in an email and so I corrected some of the spelling, took out a few and added a few, and present this as my anniversary post. I hope the messages hit home for you; they do for me.
40 Tips for a Better Life - 2009
1. Take a 10-30 minute walk every day. And while you walk, smile. It is the ultimate anti-depressant.
2. Sit in silence for at least 10 minutes each day.
3. Get DVR and take control of the television, rather than have it control you. Record your late night shows and get more sleep.
4. When you wake up in the morning complete the following statement: My purpose is to __________ today.
5. Live with the 3 E's -- Energy, Enthusiasm, and Empathy.
6. Play more games and read more books than you did in 2008.
7. Make time to practice meditation and/or prayer, depending on your faith and beliefs. They provide us with daily fuel for our busy lives.
8. Spend time with people over the age of 70 and under the age of 6.
9. Dream more while you are awake.
10. Eat more foods that grow on trees and plants and eat less food that is manufactured in plants.
11. Drink green tea and plenty of water. Eat blueberries, wild Alaskan salmon, broccoli, almonds & walnuts.
12. Try to make at least three people smile each day.
13. Clear clutter from your house, your car, and your desk and let new and flowing energy into your life.
14. Don't waste your precious energy on gossip, issues of the past, negative thoughts, or things you cannot control. Instead invest your energy in the positive present moment.
15. Realize that life is a school and you are here to learn. Problems are simply part of the curriculum that appear and fade away like algebra class but the lessons you learn will last a lifetime.
16. Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a college kid with a maxed out charge card.
17. Smile and laugh more. It will keep the NEGATIVE BLUES away.
18. Life isn't fair, but it's still good. Consider the alternative.
19. Life is too short to waste time hating anyone.
20. Don't take yourself so seriously. No one else does.
21. You don't have to win every argument. Agree to disagree.
22. Make peace with your past so it won't spoil the present.
23. Don't compare your life to anyone else. You have no idea what their journey is all about.
24. No one is in charge of your happiness except you.
25. Frame every so-called disaster with these words: In five years, will this matter?
26. Forgive everyone for everything, even if you never tell the people who have hurt you that you forgive them their weaknesses. Your spirit will be calmer.
27. What other people think of you is none of your business.
28. However good or bad a situation is, it will change.
29. Your job won't take care of you when you are sick. Your friends will. Stay in touch.
30. Get rid of anything that isn't useful, beautiful or joyful.
31. Envy is a waste of time. You already have all you need; try to get rid of it.
32. The best is yet to come.
33. No matter how you feel, get up, dress up and show up.
34. Do the right thing. You know what it is, even if you pretend you don’t.
35. Call (or email!) your family often.
36. Each night before you go to bed complete the following statements: I am thankful for __________. Today I accomplished _________.
37. Remember that you are too blessed to be stressed. There are people who would consider your life practically perfect; remember that when you are discouraged.
38. Travel somewhere you have never visited, even if it’s close to home.
39. Get a pet from an animal shelter or rescue organization. If you can’t afford one, volunteer at your local shelter and give love to those who are waiting for forever homes.
40. Most of all, enjoy this ride called LIFE. Remember, this is not DisneyWorld and you certainly don't want a fast pass. You only have one ride through life so make the most of it and enjoy the ride.