Pages - Menu

Saturday, June 28, 2008

My fierce Viking ancestors

I am proud to be one-quarter Norwegian. My paternal grandfather, Ole Severud, was born in Norway in 1900 and lived most of his life on the west coast of Canada until 1988, when he died quite suddenly. Quite a wonderful, full, long life. It's that strong Viking heritage. A fierce people, they conquered the seas and were amazing explorers. They had their nasty side too; it was a rough world a thousand years ago. The Viking longboats traditionally featured a dragon's head, as you see pictured here. Illustration Friday's theme this week is "fierce" and I could think of nothing better than to honour my ancestors by choosing this photo. Believe it or not, I took it at the Norway exhibit at Epcot, at DisneyWorld. Truly a must-visit if you've never been.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been to that exhibit. Doesn't it have that ride on a Viking ship?

Axl Lindblom said...

Come to Stockholm, Sweden. We're building a Viking museum.

faith said...

I'm a quarter Norwegian as well!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...