Pages - Menu

Sunday, April 24, 2011

Easter memories



they were an easter gift, two cute little ducks
i named them donald and daisy
but they grew fast
and they were messy...
they drove my grandmother crazy

i came home from school one afternoon
and donald and daisy were gone
they were too big to keep, my grandmother said
they've gone to live on a farm

i was only seven, an innocent child
happy my ducks had their freedom
until i overheard the adults that night...
the farmer was going to eat them

i rushed out of bed and confronted the room
outraged at their deception
but they weren't really sorry
and sent me to sleep...
the ducks never again to be mentioned

(true story -- this, and devouring a huge chocolate bunny at one go,
are my two earliest easter memories)

HAPPY EASTER!

2 comments:

Leslie Jane Moran said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Donald and Daisy! I know how much these things can scar our earliest memories. Mrs. Shorey once "gave" me a kitten, who I named "Tommy"...you and I were SO original in our naming of pets :) At any rate, my Dad hated cats, my Mum hated them even more and an aunt was conscripted to spirit "Tommy" off to the SPCA. I stood in the driveway hysterically whipping a skipping rope at the departing car. Never saw Tommy again either. Perhaps you could buy yourself a few new ducks?!:) Wouldn't Tippy be delighted. They could use the pool!

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

We had little live peeps when I was about 7 years old and they grew to a bigger size than our little yard could handle. They were sent to Aunt Stella's house in the country...and once when we were there for a Sunday dinner ...well had out chicks for dinner. YIKES! Imagine and Live in peace, Mary helen Fernandez Stewart

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...