Pages - Menu

Sunday, June 27, 2010

Must-Watch TV: Work of Art



Back in early June, I was quite excited to learn of a new reality show on Bravo called Work of Art: The Next Great Artist. Fashioned after programs like Top Chef and Project Runway, Work of Art brings together 14 diverse artists who compete in a series of elimination challenges over many weeks. My excitement turned to disappointment when I checked Bravo Canada's listings and couldn't even find a mention of the program.

My excitement has returned. The show debuted last night. It airs Saturday evenings at 8 p.m. (at least, that's when it's on here in Toronto) but if you missed it, a repeat of the premiere episode is on again tonight (Sunday) at 6 p.m. on Bravo and also Wednesday evening at 10 p.m. As so often happens, we Canadians are now about three weeks behind in episodes, so for my American friends who are watching ....please.... no spoilers! Thanks!

The art world can be a very pretentious environment, as many of us know. Does this show dispel that? Nope. I did find myself rolling my eyes at some of the comments made, both from the judges and the artists involved.

Art is very personal and also very subjective. The judging of art in this manner leaves me a bit uneasy, but I will say that I was surprised that I mostly agreed with the judges' comments to the artists they deemed the most successful and unsuccessful in the show's first challenge. It will be fascinating to watch this all play out over the next several weeks.

And without giving away too much, I am very pleased to see a "photoshop artist" among the 14 artists and also happy he did well in the show's first episode. Did he win the challenge, though? I'm not telling. You'll just have to watch. Program your PVR!

4 comments:

pinkglitterfae said...

I felt the same way when I checked to see if it was airing in Canada a few weeks ago, only to see no mention of it.
Thank goodness another Canadian blogger mentioned this was premiering on Saturday- 3 weeks behind the US.
This is exciting tv for any artist, it's wonderful to see how the rise up to the challenges.

Bonnie Zieman, M.Ed. said...

I stumbled upon this on Bravo tonight - while working in my art studio! It was interesting, and like you I agreed with most of what the art critics had to say ... and the results. Fun to see what other artists are doing - and their process as they do it. Can make one feel good by comparison!!! ;-)

Leslie Jane Moran said...

Just watched it and totally agree that it is really good. I loved project runway and this one looks like it will be the art equivalent. Isn't it interesting that Sarah Jessica Parker is the producer. There is so little to watch these days that this is indeed a great find. Thanks for the heads up. Loved it.

Bea said...

I posted a link to Hulu and this on my blog a while ago. I'm still waiting for them to add episode 2 to the list. I'm thoroughly enjoy what I've seen of it so far. :)Bea

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...